Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pavement sucks

I couldn't get a decent run this past weekend due to the weather and helping with the Galloway kickoff. Sunday night I had this brilliant idea that an 16-18 mile maintenance run is what I need to do on Monday for the race. More brilliant thought on Monday morning convinced me I should do this at Shelley Lake instead of Umstead so I can run with Jade who is doing her missed 10 miler with Crystal.

74' with 90% humidity, at least it's not sunny.

I did the first 8 on my own, changed a soaked shirt, ate a bar and did the next 10 with Jade and Crystal. Fatigue wasn't so much of an issue. However my hips started to complain slightly at mile 15 and never settled down to the end of the run. Looking back, I had one 8 mile run and one 10 mile run on pavement this year, plus the usual 4 mile loop around the house. I pretty much spent the entire past 6 month running on dirt. Even after my 26 mile trail run I didn't need ice bath, but after the 18 on pavement, I quietly endured 20 minutes of freezing my ass off in the bathtub.

Maybe I should stay away from road races in general, especially marathons.

No comments:

Post a Comment