Thursday, May 31, 2012

First month of summer break, and Chattooga River 50K

May is my first month off from school, and it has been a good month.  The first week of May saw me running over 60 miles, which was the highest weekly training mileage ever for me.  Other than someone stole my cooler with all my resupplies during the long run, that was a great start to the summer.

The previous week, I spent 6 days in the mountains.  The first three days were mountain biking with 11 other guys on the annual "Guy's Weekend".  As usual, I was the absolute worst biker of the group.  Only my cardio conditioning allowed me to not die that weekend following these guys up and down goat trails.  I then ran portions of the Appalachian Trail in the Smoky as scouting for the SCAR run.  Those couple runs told me one thing: SCAR would be brutal, brutal, brutal.   Overall, I covered 70+ miles of steep mountain trails that week, feeling great!

In two days I'll be back one of my favorite races, the Chattooga River 50k.  Two years ago, this was my debut ultra.  It wasn't the brightest of ideas, as usual.  I'm looking forward to revisit the race and and renew friendship made two years ago.  Unlike two years ago, there won't be a 16 hour flight to catch after the race!

1 comment: